News & Events
Notice of Election
Next Parish Council Meeting
Monday 21 January 2019
North Lincolnshire Local Plan Information
/_UserFiles/Files/Local Plan Issues and Options Consultation dates.pdf
West Butterwick has been awarded Highly Commended in the 2018 Best Kept Village Competition.
The latest (2017) OFSTED inspection rated the school as “Outstanding” and the recent religious inspection (SIAMS) also rated the school as “Outstanding”
The opening of the new play area.
West Butterwick was originally a township in the Owston Ferry Parish, and lies on the West bank of the river Trent.
Great debate has taken place over the years as to the source of the name “West Butterwick”, Sydney Morle, once headmaster at the village school proposed in his publication “History of West Butterwick” that the ancient spelling was “Butrewick”, the “But” element can be translated to “Boat”, “Re” means “Reach” and “Wick” could translate to “village” or “Crooked shore” however John K. Johnstone in his publication “ISLE OF AXHOLME; ITS PLACE -NAMES AND RIVER NAMES” supports the theory that “Butterwick = The town of Buthar, the name of a famous Viking”
Historically a substantial proportion of residents were engaged in Agriculture with school attendance figures fluctuating according to the seasonal labour demands. Flax was an important crop, more so than cereals in the mid 1800s. Rope manufacture was also an important industry with 5 “Rope Walks” being recorded in the village, and a ready market available as Hull and Gainsborough (both massive consumers of rope because of their shipping industries) were easily accessible by the the river Trent. The river also provided convenient transport of bricks from the brickworks (located circa where the motorway embankment is situated) Other industries of the past were Milling, Boatbuilding, and Sloop and Keelmen who transported goods along the river.
The Church dedicated to St. Mary was built in 1841 .... See Local Info for more information